Civil Liberties Benefit honoring the Hon. Abner J. Mikva and Bennett J. Johnson, Jr.
The Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights (CCDBR) was proud to honor
two defenders of civil liberties in this new era of repression:
- The Hon. Abner J. Mikva
- Former Chief Judge, U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Former member of Illinois legislature and U.S. House of Representatives
- Former White House counsel to President Bill Clinton
- Bennett J. Johnson, Jr.
- Former President, Evanston branch, NAACP
- Vice President, Third World Press
- Co-founder, Protest at the Polls
- 11:30am – Noon: Special reception with honorees
- Noon – 1:00pm: Buffet
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Program
- Presentation of Charles Lippitz Civil Liberties awards to Abner Mikva and Bennett Johnson
- Commentary by Judge Mikva, “Law vs. Order”
- Commentary by Bennett Johnson, “Power to the People”
- Northwestern University Law School
- 357 E. CHICAGO AVENUE
- (discounted parking was available)
- Tickets were $100 for special reception with honorees plus a listing in the program book; $50 for the buffet and program; $25 for only the program — (Students were admitted to the program without charge)
- Proceeds of this event, thanks to generosity of the honorees and the Bluhm Legal Clinic of Northwestern School of Law, went to support the work of the CCDBR.