ACTION ALERT: CALL THE GOVERNOR AND GET TAMMS CLOSED@ Tamms Year Ten
Posted on June 20, 2012
From Tamms Year Ten:
Yesterday, Governor Quinn’s administration confirmed that they are closing Tamms outright. However, the union and downstate legislators are mobilizing to stop him from closing Tamms. We are afraid that this major backlash will make him change his mind before he announces it.
Please show Quinn your support and tell him to stick to his decision. Closing Tamms will put Illinois on the right side of history and save the state millions of dollars.
Please take two minutes to applaud this great decision. Please forward this widely!
CALL AND EMAIL GOVERNOR QUINN TODAY
YOU CAN SAY:
Gov. Quinn, thank you for your principled and smart plan to close Tamms Supermax. Stick to it!
• The supermax is inhumane and expensive. States that have closed supermaxes or sharply curtailed the use of isolation have both saved money and improved safety.
• Do NOT expand Tamms into a new medium-security prison. Close Tamms outright!
• Tamms was designed for a single-purpose, isolation. Converting it would be difficult and expensive.
• Prison expansion to create jobs is not an effective or a sustainable job creation strategy.
• Illinois must not build a new prison while slashing programs to prevent incarceration and lower recidivism.
• Spend those 26 million dollars on underfunded mental health and substance abuse treatment in and out of the prisons.
The Governor’s phone lines may be busy, but they are keeping track of who is calling. Please be patient and persistent or send an email as a simple and effective alternative. Then let Tamms Year Ten know what you did. Comment on this message or email email@example.com. Ask your friends and family to call too!
The Governor’s office needs to hear from as many people as possible that closing Tamms is the right thing for Illinois, and it’s what Illinoisans want.