“City offers $6.2 million to settle arrests at 2003 war protest” @ Chicago Tribune
Posted on February 10, 2012
February 9, 2012 — David Heinzmann: “Lawyers for the city of Chicago told a federal judge today they have reached a $6.2 million settlement with more than 800 plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit stemming from the mass arrests of protesters during a 2003 demonstration against the Iraq war.
The issues in the case played a role in city officials’ examination of how they handle large demonstrations in the months leading up to the G-8 and NATOsummits, which could attract tens of thousands of demonstrators to the city in May.
Lawyers for the city said payouts in the suit would not be introduced to City Council until June. In a smaller case stemming from the same demonstration, city officials reached a settlement last month but said the amount would not be released until the settlements are introduced for council for approval…”
Read more at Chicago Tribune.